"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, July 17, 2010

Week 28: "Graffiti, Life Imitates Art"

Week 28:
"Graffiti, Life Imitates Art"

In my travels, there is one medium that has always caught my eye - graffiti. When I begin to look at the intense accenting, savage beauty, and the raw emotional power behind it, in my mind, it becomes some of the most important visual art.  

I have found that this style of work not only imitates, but is a perfect parallel to life and art.  Usually I find that when spread  wide across a wall, the "artist or artists" are not only creating a statement of territory, but truly expressing their inner psyche.  There is also a beauty to the intense shading verses the extreme highlights.  Graffiti in my mind mirrors that inner dark verses light, yin and yang that our minds go through everyday. In this week's work I wanted to depict a softer side of graffiti that expressed the contemplative side of emotions. 

Yet while working on this week's piece I did find out one thing about myself.   Even when I have many raw emotions flowing, ready to force their way to the surface, I still try to to smooth out emotions in my head so that they are hidden.  

Call it "street art" or "destruction of property", graffiti imitates life which can create beauty or destroy it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment