"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, July 31, 2010

Week 30: "Flesh" (Purple)

Week 30 - "Flesh" (Purple)

Over the last week I have had an obsession of flesh. The smell, the taste, the vulnerability entices me and confuses me. People say that we have to build a tough skin to protect ourselves from the harshness of the world and from the bile that others spew at us. My thoughts are drawn to the question of how something so tough can be so fragile, that with the slightest prick can expose the core of our weakness.  The skin is our shield, but it is not made of steel. The sharpest blade can rip through the layers and layers of mass that makes up the physical, but the sharpness of a persons' tongue can leave permanent gashes in our self worth . 

The world loves the mantra "sticks and stones..., but names will never hurt me". To be blunt, that is utter bull shit in my mind.  The arrows of verbal attacks, even with good intention, can pierce.  I maybe of outer flesh, but my heart and core is of utter-flesh.  As an artist I find I have to leave myself vulnerable at times to feel the emotional gunfire of others to use later as inspiration.  I found that when I begin to close myself off, or grow a "thicker skin" the inspiration begins to dry because I feel no pain. 

Instead of leaving you with a my normal conclusion of my thoughts, I have decided to leave you some expressive verse to sum the meaning behind this week's work.

"Bruise" 
By David K.

Visceral knuckles pound the curves
Verbal nails begin to till the soil 
The pulse, the gasp, pumps its weakness through
I place my shield up in battle while you prepare the psychological and spiritual lobotomy

My body stands there ready for combat, but the beating inside screams for what it wants
It craves more self destruction, it starves for more violence.
The pulse, the gasp, pumps it's addiction to feeling through
I love the purple that raises to the internal and external surface
Because where there is a bruise, there is creativity, there is validation, there is emotional vandalism,
there is flesh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment