"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Friday, January 22, 2010

Week 3: "I Have My Eyes on Me"

Week 3: "I Have My Eyes on Me"


As many say, we are our own worst enemy and critic; so much it can cause our own fears, insecurities, and self loathing.  Recently I have been feeling this more and more in my own life.  My striving for perfection is a lost cause I know. I have been slowly realizing that this, more than anything, causes my biggest struggles in life.


I have been on an intense self critical streak. As some already know that this is only week 3 of my blog, but truthfully this is painting number 6. This week's work is the 6th because 3, 4, and 5 were not what I was wanting to portray to the world, or even let people see.  So now those three are packed away and not sure what their fate will be. Just like in my life sometimes I work on something and if it doesn't go the way I want I just pack it away until I know how to deal with it, or myself.


With every stroke of my brush this week I had this little voice saying "No!". "It says nothing!" I felt the eyes of the world were on me. Each scrutinizing, judging. So on the 6th canvas I closed my eyes and saw those eyes looking back.  Realizing that those eyes were my own.  Each insecurity taking form, taking face, which finally gave me "I Have My Eyes on Me".

8 comments:

  1. I love this one, David. It speaks to a lot of people, me included. Beautiful work, no matter how much struggle was endured! ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great stuff, David. Very clean and to the point. Well composed and executed. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one. To me it also seems as if the cheeks are also hands cupped around each mouth as if to be shouting to you, as you do have the eyes watching you. Is there a meaning in the way the eyes are colored?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes there was meaning behind the color of the eyes. The reflective properties was to show how the eyes were to show me looking back through the eyes. The red was the to show anger/and loathing that we all can have for ourselfs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, I really like this one. When you finally get these all in an exhibit, if they're for sale, and if you're willing to split them up, I could bid on it.

    As you have in the first two, your words and description match the painting, they compliment each other well, and in this case, both word and image are compelling and revealing. The shape of the canvas, the mingling of the images, the colors, I love it all. Very well done, I know you'd impress me soon. I really feel as if the eyes are studying me, some mocking me, some laughing at me. I must say I also see pride and accomplishment in some of those eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this one a lot! At first glance I did not see eyes at all. As I focused in on the work though, a million different thoughts came to mind. Each pair of eyes seems to be telling me a story, each brush stroke another emotion. Very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. David,
    You have come so far in your work! What gets to me more though are your words. They paint a canvas in my mind, ever changing. The journey to perfection...it took me awhile to realize that it's the imperfections that make up perfection. I don't think I could handle the stress of being with someone "too" perfect. What's the fun in that?

    So here is a toast to the imperfections of life. May they bring you much joy and laughter!

    Love,
    Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Note to All: "I Have My Eyes on Me" Has been Sold

    ReplyDelete