"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, January 30, 2010

Week 4: "Trapped in Ecstasy"

Week 4: "Trapped in Ecstasy"


In my life there are moments in time that define me, inspire me, and stir my deepest desires. Yet at times those moments can trap me. Those moments, frozen in my memory, cause me to compare the "here and now" with the past, in turn not allowing me to stay in the moment.  This constant comparison causes me to question whether it was truly real or if it was what I wanted it to be like.  With that I am left with just memories of what might have or might not have been.

These thoughts of these past moments, past divine inspirations, or past desires can be so strong that it can take my breath away and help me to escape true life.  Yet I realize as an artist and as a human this can be entrapping myself, unable to experience the moments, divine inspirations, and desires of the "here and now".

People say that to create, you must stay outside of the box.  The issue is breaking free of the box, and escape being trapped in the ecstasy of the past.

Special Note: "Trapped in Ecstacy" is the first painting in 10 years that I have added the female form.

3 comments:

  1. Another good one, and once again, your words are as powerful as the painting. I think you'll need to scribe the words on the back of each painting or something. Your last sentence has me confused. It looks to me like all the past emotions are still in the box, trapped, and keeping you trapped with them. But then you say you're breaking free of the box and escape being trapped in the ecstasy of the past. Perhaps after you drew this, you escaped? I love the purple here which seems to capture emotion, and the black mixed in which captures the depression. I like that the figures are a neutral brown, like each memory in itself, while significant, isn't too damaging to your present, but having all the memories mixing with each other, is what causes the trap. Like you say, individually, they inspire and stir your deepest desire.

    Very well done, you should be proud. Unlike week 3 though, I don't see this one in my home. It's just too personal to you, and the color scheme doesn't match anything in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I see is a feeling of freeness trying to get out. I can feel this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there perhaps a hint of vulnerability in allowing yourself to be so free? It is said that some photographers start to lose their hold on true reality because they are constantly viewing life through a camera lens, could the same be said of painters? You spend your life painting the world ho you wish it were instead of how it actually is. "Am I in love, or am I in love with love?"

    ReplyDelete