"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, February 20, 2010

Week 7: "I've Seen Both Sides"

 Week 7:
"I've Seen Both Sides"
This week's piece was inspired by thoughts that were brought up after hearing "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell. It stirred up the thought of how I have been on both sides of love and goodbye.  

I have been on both the sides of leaving. The side being told goodbye and the side that says goodbye. Both sides hurt, but which is worse? Is it worse to be the one saying goodbye or the one  being told goodbye?  Is it worse to be the one walking away or the one watching someone walk away? One thing I do know is that it hurts either way.  

After looking back I realize that I have always loved until it hurt; or loved until I got hurt. I grew up believing in the fairy tale that someday I would meet "the one" and it would be perfect. As I grow older though, I realize that these stories are just illusions of what love really is.  Love fogs our judgment and blinds us to the edge of pain.  

I ask myself if it is wrong to love someone to much? Is it wrong to love someone so much that it hurts? I guess the answer depends on the other side. What I mean is that I don't think it is wrong to love someone until it hurts, as long as the other person feels the same way.  In these moments I see the fairy tales are true, but just as quickly as they appear, they disappear.  When I realize the love has changed, I lose something, I lose myself.  I lose myself in the illusion of love.  Yet, when I have been the one being loved in  that way I find the fog clears and turns from the edge of pain to safety, and I shut down.  

So I ask again, is it worse to walk away or be the one watching someone walk away? I don't know the answer, but I've seen both sides.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this one as well. Due to the way it was painted you can even look at it in two ways. I look at it and think it was black on white canvas, which I am sure it was, or you can look again and think maybe it was white on black canvas. Also, the individual in the eye, I look at it and think maybe that is a reflection of someone walking away, or is it how we feel so small after we are left because part of us goes with the person walking away. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it all depends on the circumstances... I can only speak as the one who has walked away, but I think sometimes it's not that one is better or worse, just the lesser of two evils. Although, to be on either side is sometimes the best thing that could be, but we just don't have the benefit of knowing that until we've traveled farther down the road. The last time I walked away, it was from an abusive husband and, though it was without a doubt the most terrifying thing I have ever done, it was also the bravest and what was best and I have not once regretted it, nor will I ever. So after all of that, did I actually give you an answer? :)

    ReplyDelete