"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, March 13, 2010

Week 10: "Like a Child, I Like To Spin"

Week 10: "Like a Child,
I Like To Spin"
Two weeks ago, someone commented on my blog, wanting to see something that I love. Most of the time with my paintings I use as a type of therapy. A way of digging deeply into the inner emotions of my day to day life. So for me to sit and grasp one specific thing that makes me happy was difficult. Yet there was one thing that kept popping into my mind.

When I was a child I used to spin around and around, and around. While I did, I watched the world blur, blend together, become indescribable.  For those first few moments I let go of my childhood insecurities.  I released the hold on myself and on the reality of the world around me. For those brief seconds I felt free. I felt one with the wind that I could not see, but could feel. I felt one with something greater than myself.

Now as an adult, secretly, I still try to recreate that feeling, when no one is looking of course. In my life I have trouble letting go, and just being loosing that vise like grip on reality.  As I grew up the amount of time I am able to allow myself to spin is smaller and smaller. I believe that its because I have a fear of I letting myself spin, and spin, and spin until I loose focus of 
something grounded, and not realize that I'm falling. 

But the answer to the question of what is something that I love comes down to one simple answer. Like a Child, I Love to Spin and spin and spin and spin...




7 comments:

  1. wheeeeeeeeee :) I like how the brush strokes add to the sensation of movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Dave!!! We all need to take more time to spin :o) I love the description you posted too...I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies. I love hearing them. Just an FYI: this piece is now also SOLD! Two weeks in a row lets hope for 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Very nice I love to look at it. No wonder it's sold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It is my favorite one so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This piece is fantastic! The light, freeness of this painting is amazing! Honestly, after seeing this piece I took my niece out in the yard for a spin, I wanted to remind myself of how it felt! AWESOME!! And the picture you painted is dead accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this painting and the thoughts behind it. I'm enjoying reading your blogs and the creativity behind them all, wonderful endeavor! Looking forward to the rest of the journey. XO Rob

    ReplyDelete