"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, March 6, 2010

Week 9 - "Soul Freeing"

Week 9 - "Soul Freeing"
 
Recently someone that I just met asked me a question. What makes me feel free? That question hit a chord with me. What  makes me feel uninhibited, unbound, or unguarded?  

My first thought was to give a normal stock answer, "Going hiking and looking out from the top at the world below."  Even though I find that physically freeing, it does nothing for feeling emotionally free.  

It is said that when we hold secrets, it weighs heavy on our heart and our soul.  I feel that sometimes in our modern society we expect each other to keep ourselves guarded and not, as the world says, "show weakness".  How can showing your emotions to someone, letting go of secrets that anchor us down, be a sign of weakness?  Over the last few years, I have learned that releasing those thoughts, talking about them, or shining a light on that darkness helps to free myself of those shackles that put my soul on lock down.  The funny thing is, I never feel weak after that.
 I feel strong.  I find it amazingly uplifting, almost weightless.  

Through my art, and with the added help of this blog, I expose those feelings as they come.  Basically, putting my burdens on a extremely strict emotional diet.  With each secret I shed, I don't find myself becoming weaker, but my soul becoming free.

7 comments:

  1. Love it. Head held high, good energy coming from this piece. Good job David! Makes me feel good to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see that color has come back to your art and I really enjoyed your thoughts, and your are right, the only thing that I know that grows in dark are mushrooms! Keep up the good work, I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. I like this piece! I really enjoyed the ink on canvas ones a lot, but this seems more like you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. two words...ghost writer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anonymous from March 11, 2010. I must admit that I did get some of my phrases from someone this week, who was very inspiring and also very very cute. Hehehehe. And it was great to paint in color again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great piece David.
    When I first saw it, I felt great energy coming from it, kinda remind me where Im in my life right now, but then after reading your blog about it,now I even feel much more of a understanding and bound of this piece, I too, feel free when going hiking, kinda my release of things and a recharge!!!!!
    You referance about things weighing us down, so true, and once release just leaves room to hold our heads hight and take in all the positive energy around us to recharge our soirts now that we have room for it!!!!
    Thanks for sharing it with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a Notice to ALL: "Soul Freeing" is Sold.

    ReplyDelete