"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, May 8, 2010

Week 18: "A Man in Perspective"

Week 18: "A Man in Perspective"

What makes a man a man?  Is there a right answer? As I add one more year to my age, and leave behind my so called "boyhood," I start to ask myself these questions.  Growing up I was always more emotional than most of my friends. Some could say more feminine in nature. Being in touch with my softer, more emotional side caused a lot of heart ache and teasing. But I always wondered why the standards of masculinity  have to be strong and unemotional. In this week's work I wanted to try a somewhat modified form of cubism.  My goal was to depict what I felt makes up the true form of a "Man".  

Humility-Being able to show the vulnerable is a true virtue in my mind. The ability to say "I am wrong, I'm sorry", and truly meaning it.  I have found that being able to do that in my everyday life has made me feel more like a man than trying to always win my way.  

Acceptance-Ready to embrace someone whether it be physically or mentally. Even though I have seen a recent trend of more men being able to be affectionate with fellow men, there still seems to be a major stigma about men touching each other.  If a man is to be strong then why not be open armed to be able to hold another man, or a woman, when that person needs to be held up?

Centered-I think a "Man" should be centered with himself and his own masculinity.  Being able to be comfortable with that inner femininity has helped to find balance in my life. Before, because of the torment of not being "masculine enough," my soul felt out of balance. But once I began to embrace that my inner femininity, my mind, body and soul began to work in harmony. I was created by a man and woman, so why not express both sides equally?  

It's my belief that it all comes down to one thing: love.  A true man knows what is right in his heart, whether it's humility, being open-hearted, or embracing both sides of the spectrum.  When I am able to love, I see what makes a true man in perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Hey everyone: Just to let you all know, this piece is SOLD. Only 2.5 hours after being posted!!!!

    ReplyDelete