"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, June 12, 2010

Week 23: "When I Look In the Mirror (A Portrait)"

Week 23: "When I Look In the Mirror (A Portrait)" 
 

 
A portrait's purpose is to capture the subject's inner essence in visible form. ~ Unknown

This week I decided to take a risk. This piece is something that not many have seen me do, a self-portrait.  Even though I have been creating art for many years, I have only ever painted one other self-portrait.  The first was ink on paper, which resides in my parent's home. The reason behind the lack of self-portraits is the introspective nature of this type of work.  When I begin to really look at each minute detail of myself, uncomfortable feelings and extreme insecurities comes into play. 

Just like a photographer or director, artists are observers of the world, but when the camera is turned they become unnerved, as do I.  While studying myself, I had to look deep at each unwanted twist, turn, and curve.  The only problem for me is that I am my own worst critic when it comes to how I look to the world. As many in this world, I see the flaws before I see the beauty.  I am drawn to my most hated flaws and end up emphasizing them more that the parts that are "aesthetically pleasing".  Do I do this with all my subjects? Why do I scrutinize my flaws rather than praise the beauty? If I were to concentrate on the beauty of myself when I look in the mirror, what kind of portrait would I paint then? 


1 comment:

  1. Good Job! but...That Boy is still staring at me!

    ReplyDelete