"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, June 19, 2010

Week 24: "Fireflies"

Week 24: "Fireflies"
(Click on the picture for a larger view)

During one of the warm summer evenings this week, I saw a sight that made my heart skip and my brain begin to wonder.  As I stood there watching a million dancing lights flash along the rolling lawns of the court yard, excitement that I had as a child began to swell inside and my adult mind began to fill with questions.

 As a child, my summer evenings were filled with attempts to catch proverbial lightning in a bottle.  Across the back yards of my friends and I's homes my heart waited in anticipation to see the yellowish green orbs appear.  Then I would dash across the dark grass in hopes of catching one and placing it in my keepsake jar, which was usually an empty jam jar with holes punched into the the top by a bottle opener key.  Those nights were spent in the euphoria of the Earth's mystic beauty.  Yet now as an adult, up until recently, I would look out into fields and think to myself that there are to many bugs out there.  When did that child with wide eyed amazement turn into the adult that couldn't stop to take part in the small things that the world gives us.

I have found as I grew older, I had become immune to the small beauties that are always in front of me,  all in hope to see the greater, larger beauty.  Yet something happened the other night.  Is it the because while working on this blog I am delving deeper into the parts of myself that I have lost.  Or is it a realization that it's not the large things that are important, but the collection of all the small beauties that make the grander picture.  So while standing there watching the night become speckled with flashing beauty, my heart, like the child I remember from all those years ago, once again began to dance with the Fireflies.

1 comment: