"52 in 52: A New Journey" September NEWS: Gallery Blu Show and 3rd in the Burg Show!

UPCOMING EVENTS:

January:



January 8, 2011


"52 in 52: A New Journey" Blog Show at

The Paper Lion Gallery, 1217 Hummel Avenue, Lemoyne



YWCA of Carlisle, PA - Featured Artist












Saturday, June 26, 2010

Week 25: "Adaptation of Harmonics"

Week 25: "Adaptation of Harmonics"
(Click Picture to Enlarge)

It is my belief that music is the boat that takes us on the river of our souls.  Many works of mine are inspired by music, and how the melodies and lyrics make me feel. This week I was inspired to paint the sensation that a certain piece conjured. 

I see sensations as being different than emotions. Emotions are rooted in one core feeling such as anger, sadness or love, but a sensations to me is the layering of many emotions all at the same time.  In music the pairing and clustering of notes played simultaneously is call a chord, and the way the notes interact with each other is the harmonics.  It's my theory that feelings are the notes and chords while sensations are the resonating harmonics to our soul.  

This week's work was inspired by one of the very few compositions that have moved me past these mer solitary emotions.  "Adagio for Strings" (Angus Dei) by Samuel Barber with it's simplistic chord progressions is one of those works.  As I listen to it I find myself filled with thoughts of love, passion, hurt, sorrow, ecstasy, elation, longing, acceptance, rejection and many others all at the same time.  The piece transcends my simple feelings into reverberations of layers upon layers of humanity.  

I believe music can inspire the soul or make you closer to a higher being.  Like notes upon notes, chords upon chords, through music I have found that my soul can experience the true adaptations of harmony.

(Listen to "Adagio for Strings (Angus Dei)" by Samuel Barber below)

No comments:

Post a Comment